Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy New Writing Year

I was reading some blog posts on SheWrites (a great social networking site for women writers) when I came across one woman writer that mentioned she's choosing a "theme" to live her year by. It's sort of like a goal or resolution, but in a broader sense. For instance, you could choose Love to be your theme, spending the year doing activities that bring more Love into your life and into the world.

I thought it sounded like a good idea, so I decided to adopt it for my New Writing Year. Rather than simply resolving to "write more," I'm going to have certain themes to write about. And since my current work-in-progress is related to religion, sex, and secrets, I've decided to make those three things my themes for this year.

So, I'm resolving (and you are all my witness) to use Religion, Sex, and Secrets as recurring themes throughout my writing year.

I'm hoping that by having themes, I'll have a focus. I'll have something to write about even when I feel empty of writing ideas. And it'll give my writing cohesion, a thread (in theory, anyway).

So here's to a New Writing Year! May my themes lead the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment